Often customers seek advice regarding the requirement to supervise a learner in a small lorry (category C1) or minibus (category D1).

To do so you must follow certain rules depending on when you obtained your C1 or D1 driving licence entitlement.

If you wish to supervise a C1 or D1 learner driver, you must have a full driving licence for the same category of vehicle being driven by the learner. You must have had the licence for a minimum period of 3 years.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 January 1997, you will automatically have the entitlement to drive C1 and D1 vehicles, but please be aware that you are NOT allowed to supervise learners in these licence categories.

In order to be able to supervise, you MUST:

-> Pass the theory and practical driving tests for the category of vehicle being driven by the learner.

-> Wait for 3 years after passing your tests before supervising anyone.

Further detailed information can be found on this subject on the following link: https://www.gov.uk/supervise-small-lorry-and-minibus-learner-drivers